Compare Calcium Quality

March 4, 2018 | Wellness Resources

Send to a friend

* Required fields

  or  Cancel

Compare Calcium Quality
Calcium is the most abundant mineral in our bodies, with about 99% stored in our bones and teeth. It is no wonder that we often associate the mineral with strong bones. The other 1% of calcium found in our body is used for nerve signaling, metabolism, hormone secretion, balancing pH, muscle contraction, maintaining heart rhythms, and more. Due to dairy intolerances, depleted soil, and poor dietary choices, many Americans aren’t getting enough calcium from their diets. To make matters worse, stress, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and carbonated beverages all can deplete calcium stores and lead to deficiency.

Supplementing with calcium is recommended to maintain good health and strong bones. All calcium supplements are not created equal, so choose carefully. Ensure you only supplement with high quality forms of calcium and toss supplements that use cheap forms of calcium in the trash where they belong. Here’s what to look for:

Cheap Forms of Calcium to Avoid:
The cheapest form of calcium is inorganic calcium carbonate – little more than gym chalk. Other cheap forms of calcium to avoid include bone meal, oyster shell, dolomite (ground rocks), and calcium gluconate (9% calcium and 91% sugar glucose). These forms of calcium require large amounts of hydrochloric acid to make bioavailable, thus they are poorly absorbed. Unabsorbed, these cheap calcium forms circulate through the blood calcifying your arteries and contributing to plaque, gall stones, or kidney stones. There is little chance these forms of calcium will improve bone strength.

Other low quality forms to avoid include calcium oxide, calcium citrate, dicalcium phosphate, and calcium chelates labeled as unidentified “amino acid chelates”. These forms are often made into tablets and glued together, causing them to pass through the digestive tract and into the toilet unaltered. Any company that uses these forms of calcium does not have quality – or your health – in mind.

High Quality Calcium Forms:
Microcrystalline hydroxyapatite (MCHC) is a superior form of calcium, especially for bone health. MCHC is made up of small crystals that are easily incorporated into bone, which is what gives it its significant bone building advantage. Numerous studies9 support the use of the MCHC form of calcium supplement for bone support, in both young and old.

Coral calcium
from ocean waters naturally has the preferred ratio of 2 parts calcium to 1 part magnesium, along with many other trace minerals found in the ocean that assist calcium absorption and bone strength. It is typically harvested from non-living (eco-friendly) coral reefs in the pristine waters off the coast of Okinawa. A reputable company will test their coral calcium for impurities and radiation to ensure it is safe for human consumption. The calcium carbonate from coral calcium far different than the gym chalk described above. It rapidly produces mineral ions that your body can easily use in countless metabolic processes like a true food form.

With so many calcium supplements available, it can be confusing! Ensure you only supplement with high quality forms of calcium that are easily absorbed. If you see any of the cheap forms of calcium mentioned above – toss them in the trash where they belong. Quality calcium supplementation is key to maintaining health through old age – don’t wait until it’s too late.

Search thousands of health news articles!