Steak Burritos - 4 servings
Active Time: 30 min | Total Time: 45 min (plus 24 hour marinade)
• 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
• 1/4 cup cumin seeds, toasted
• 3/4 cup olive oil
• 1 bunch cilantro (stems and leaves)
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 1/2 cup lime juice
Rice, steak, burrito:
• 1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
• 1 15-ounce can organic black beans
• 12 ounces grass-fed strip steak, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 4 8-inch whole-wheat or brown rice tortillas
• 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup fresh guacamole (or avocado slices)
• 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
1. Marinade: Put all marinade ingredients in a blender, blend until smooth, and pour over beef slices. Cover and keep in refrigerator overnight.
2. Cook rice per directions. When there is 10 minutes left of cooking time, add salsa and water to rice and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and simmer uncovered until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
4. To assemble, divide the steak among the tortillas and top with equal amounts of cheese, guacamole, cilantro and the rice mixture. Roll each tortilla into a burrito.
Per serving: 471 calories; 16g fat; 49g carbohydrates; 0g added sugars; 31g protein
This week, Byron explains how to lose that last 5-10 pounds of fat!
Watch The Leptin Diet® Video Tip of the Week from Byron >
Peanut Butter Cup - 1 serving
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Get rid of under arm flab by adding French Presses to your workout routine.
1. Lie flat on bench, floor or a mat. Hold dumbbells directly above chest with palms facing each other. Dumbbells should be just about touching each other.
- Women: use 3-5lbs to start; Men: use 7-10lbs to start
2. Keeping your shoulders locked, let your elbows fold so dumbbells are lowered down to either side of head.
3. Extend both your arms back to start position and repeat.
"Thank you! This time around has been very successful. I was doing another program and my weight loss was extremely slow, even gaining some weeks. Since starting back with The Five Rules, I've lost significant weight every week. I am ecstatic! It really works!"
~ 2011 Leptin Diet Challenge Participant
Losing weight is hard enough; keeping it off is even harder. New research shows that even after maintaining an amount of weight loss for greater than one year, basal metabolism may still be in "hibernation" mode. This is the first time this has been demonstrated in humans. It means that many people will easily gain weight if they eat too much, even if their weight has been stable for a while.
Many people lose weight simply by cleaning up the junk in their diets and cutting back a bit. As weight problems get more locked into place then stricter dieting approaches are typically employed. Those who restrict too much too fast, even though they may drop weight quickly for a time, are inducing low-leptin "hibernation" metabolism, as described in my book The Leptin Diet. This new study shows that this hibernation mode can persist for quite a while after weight has been lost - meaning it will be quite easy to gain weight back if you simply get off track for a few days.
By following the Leptin Diet you can reduce the chance of metabolic slow down while you are losing weight. If you exercise consistently at your new weight you will ensure that "hibernation" metabolism is much less likely to be an issue. Doing it right will help you keep the weight off over the long haul.
One of the great values of the Leptin Diet is that it is a lifestyle of eating that you can easily follow for the rest of your life - and it works!
Fresh Caprese Quinoa Salad
• 1/2 C organic quinoa
• 8 oz fresh mozzarella
• 1 carton organic grape tomatoes, halved
• Fresh basil, chopped
• 2 T extra virgin olive oil
• Kosher salt & pepper to taste
1. In a medium sized pan, bring 1C filtered water to a boil and then add 1/2 C quinoa. Reduce heat and simmer on low until all of the water is absorbed. Should be done in about 15 minutes.
2. Cool the cooked quinoa in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
3. Slice grape tomatoes in half (long way) and cut the ball of fresh mozzarella into bite size pieces. Mix together. Then, toss in the chopped basil and cooked quinoa. Next, drizzle on the olive oil and season with a little salt and pepper to taste. You can serve this cool or at room temperature.
Do you see food and eat it? Learn how to reset your full signal.
Watch Byron's Leptin Diet® Tip of the Week >
The Addictive Nature of Compulsive Eating
High Protein Breakfast Dampens Hunger Drive Later in the Day
Get Rid of Your Cravings to Help Make Healthier Fat
Vanilla Vacation - 1 serving
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Build lower abdominal muscles fast with ankle touches.
1. Lie on floor with knees bent and hands at your side with head in a neutral position.
2. Leading with the chin and chest towards the ceiling, contract the abdominal and raise shoulders off floor or bench. Reach for you ankle with one hand and repeat with the other side.
3. Return to start position.
Continue for duration of 30 seconds, 60 seconds or longer.
Repeat 3-4 sets.
"I've really enjoyed the Leptin Diet Weight Loss Challenge articles! They've made it clear why I haven't been able to lose weight even though I eat organically and exercise daily. After adding a couple of products to my program, I've lost 4 lbs! Thank you."
~ 2011 Leptin Diet Challenge Participant
Join the Leptin Diet® Community Forum and meet like-minded individuals! Studies show that you are more likely to reach your weight loss goals and maintain them if you stay active in a support group. Take advantage of this free resource where you can ask questions, chat with others, learn and share. Wellness Resources Leptin Diet Coaches are also active in the forum and will answer your questions and provide you with tips for success!
We invite you to start today: Create your personal profile, introduce yourself and make new friends!
Cranberry-Walnut Chicken Salad
• 4 cups (2 lbs) cubed cooked organic chicken
• 1 celery rib, diced into small bits (1 cup)
• 2 or more tablespoons finely chopped shallot
• 1 cup dried cranberries
• 2/3 cup olive oil mayonnaise
• 3 tablespoons tarragon vinegar, champagne vinegar, or white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon or herb of your choice
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• chopped Romaine lettuce or pita wedges
1. Toss together all ingredients in a large bowl until combined well.
2. Serve over chopped Romaine lettuce, or with toasted pocketless pita wedges.
Tired in the morning? Sleeping well? Discover how to get in sync for healthy weight loss.
Watch The Leptin Diet® Video Tip of the Week >
> Quercetin: A Rising Star for Nerves, Immunity, and Metabolism
> Blood Sugar Hormone Adiponectin is Linked to Your Circadian Clock
> Maximizing DHA Intake Supports Weight Loss
Chocolate Avocado Smoothie - 1 serving
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Tone both your thighs and calves while improving cardiovascular fitness and burning fat with the step-up exercise.
1. Stand with dumbbells at arms length by side (no weight for beginners).
2. With one leg, step up onto a bench or a step that are 16 to 18 inches high, making sure to stand tall on the bench with each step. Step down to complete rep and continue to step up with the same leg until the set is completed.
3. Be sure to make complete contact between the entire sole of the foot and the platform. Never stay on your toes while your leg is up on the box.
Perform sets of 1-2 minutes up to 15 sets.
"I had been a yo-yo dieter for my entire adult life. After reading Mastering Leptin and The Leptin Diet books I realized it was not my fault for gaining the weight back. I am 53 years old. My highest weight during this life-long journey was 260 lbs. I now weigh 150 lbs and by following The Five Rules of The Leptin Diet, I've maintained my weight loss for over a year now!"
~ 2011 Leptin Diet Challenge Participant
Sea Salt & Lime Grilled Fish Tacos
• 1 pound (1-inch thick) halibut fish fillets
• 1/4 cup lime juice
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1/4 cup prepared salsa verde or pico de gallo
• 1 jalepeno, diced (optional)
• 1/4 cup organic mayonnaise
• 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
• 1 cup shredded green cabbage
• 1 cup shredded red cabbage
• 16 avocado slices (about 2 small avocados)
• 8 organic corn (or whole wheat flour) tortillas
• 2 limes, cut in half
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine lime juice, cilantro, oil and halibut in large zip top bag; marinate in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
3. For creamy salsa verde, combine salsa and mayonnaise in mini food processor or blender. Add jalepeno (optional). Puree until smooth.
4. Remove fish from marinade, season with 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, and place on hot grill. Grill fish for 6 minutes on each side and remove. Let rest several minutes then flake fish with fork.
5. Place lime halves on grill, flesh side down, along with tortillas for 1 minute or until limes are grill marked and one side of tortillas are toasted. Remove and bend tortillas, toasted side out, into taco-shape.
6. Fill each tortilla with 1/4 cup slaw and 2 slices avocado. Divide fish evenly among tacos and drizzle each with 1 tablespoon sauce. Sprinkle with remaining sea salt and serve with grilled lime half.
Nutrition info per serving: Calories 431, Protein 27g, Carbohydrate 41g, Fiber 7.8g, Fat 22g
The healthy function of your thyroid system is a top-level health priority, as sluggish thyroid is now shown to make any other health problem more challenging. Many individuals have symptoms of slow metabolism, including low body temperature, fatigue, weight gain, difficulty losing weight and keeping it off, constipation, poor mood, heavy head, dry skin, and energy problems in the afternoon. A lack of proper nutrition for your thyroid system is a huge metabolic problem. Read more >
Vanilla Jitterbug - 1 serving
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Half Boat PoseThe Half Boat Pose allows you to strengthen your abs and lower back at all levels - introductory and advanced. Whether you are unable to do a single sit-up or struggle to find ways to challenge your abs, this pose is a great addition.
1. Start by sitting on the floor and extending your legs and arms.
2. Lean back; keep your legs straight and arms extended in front of you.
3. Hold this balanced position maintaining proper positioning for the desired time limit.
4. Rest and repeat for the desired repetitions.
5. Track time records as you'll quickly increase time. Initial goals should be 20, 30 or 60 seconds depending on core strength.
Grilled Rosemary-Salmon Skewers
• 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
• 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
• 1 teaspoon lemon juice
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1 pound center-cut Wild salmon fillet, skinned (see Tips) and cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Combine rosemary, oil, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add salmon; toss to coat. Alternating the salmon and tomatoes, divide among eight 12-inch skewers.
3. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the skewers, carefully turning once, until the salmon is cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes total. Serve immediately.
How to skin a salmon fillet: Place skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either. To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Don't use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Nutrition info per serving: 74 calories; 18g fat; 4g carbohydrates; 24g protein; 1g fiber
> VIDEO: Do you have the energy to exercise?
> Overweight People Need Extra Antioxidants for Exercise
> Eat Low Carb After Exercise to Improve Insulin Resistance
> Byron's Running Tips
> Solve Snoring, Cut Fat and Increase Exercise
> Essential Fatty Acids Increase Blood Flow to Muscles During Exercise
For assistance getting on track, call our team of Wellness Specialists
at 800-717-9355 or 952-929-4575.
"My life changed after starting The Leptin Diet. I lost 70 pounds, and have maintained the weight loss for 7 years!" Watch Pauline's Story >
Nectarine Nelly - 1 serving
Pour juice and water into a blender. Add the nectarines and mango. Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Squat JumpsIncrease heart rate for a cardiovascular challenge while working all muscles of the leg with squat jumps, an exercise you can do at the gym or at home.
1. Squat down until legs are at a 45 degree angle
2. Jump as high as you can
3. Use an object such as a rim, branch, mark on the wall
4. Bring legs back to 45 degree angle and jump again
"By understanding the principles of weight management, I have become more and more successful with weight management. I have lost a substantial amount (or 36 lbs) of weight since February! YAHOO!"
"I started The Leptin Diet 6 weeks ago and am already so proud of my results! I have been trying to lose weight for the last 8 years with no success. Thank you for a real solution!" ~ Briana
Crab Salad With Avocado, Apple, and Green Beans
1 1/2 cups green beans, trimmed at both ends, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons coarse sea salt
1 cup Greek-style yogurt
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
4 tablespoons minced fresh chives
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed
1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
8 ounces cooked lump crabmeat (about 1 cup)
1. Fill a large pot fitted with a colander with water. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add green beans and coarse sea salt to colander, and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
2. Remove colander from pot. Rinse beans with cold water, drain, and pat dry with a clean towel.
3. Whisk yogurt, mustard, and fine sea salt in a large, shallow bowl. Add green beans, chives, apple, avocado, and crabmeat. Toss and serve.
Nutrition info per serving: 220 calories; 9g fat; 38mg cholesterol; 20g protein; 17g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 610mg sodium
Are you on track to reach your weight loss goals? We have heard some encouraging stories from many participants and are excited to hear YOUR success story in June. If you have not lost weight, we strongly suggest you review the articles below. It is essential to follow the Five Rules of the Leptin Diet consistently, exercise regularly and eat healthy, real food. The articles will help you determine what other health areas may be standing in the way of weight loss. If you have hit a weight loss plateau, be sure to read article #6 and perhaps do the "Jump Start" program explained at the end of the article. Make it a great week!
Very Strawberry - 1 serving
Blend until smooth and enjoy!
Abdominal TwistsSwitch up your basic sit-up routine and challenge your ab muscles with this abdominal twist exercise. Consistency will help increase strength in the lower and upper abdominal muscles as well as the lower back.
1. Start by sitting on the floor, knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
2. Hold a medicine ball or free weight, extend your arms out in front of you.
3. Tilt back so that your body makes about 45° with the floor.
4. While keeping your lower body still, twist your body to the right (moving your stretched arms along) and then to the left.
"The Leptin Diet is the only 'diet' that has ever worked for me. I spent 20 years trying to figure out why counting calories and exercise weren't working. I read The Leptin Diet book. It's great! I finally lost weight and have kept it off. The Leptin Control Pack was also really helpful. I tell everyone I know who struggling with weight about The Leptin Diet."
3 tablespoons Tamari
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 Lime
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 skinless, boneless organic chicken breast halves
Cilantro to taste
In a small bowl combine Tamari sauce, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, a handful of chopped cilantro and garlic.
Cut the chicken into large chunks, skewer onto bamboo sticks that have been soaked in water for 5 minutes, and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Grill on medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, until juices run clear. Serve with fresh salad or steamed veggies.
Your liver plays a central role in the metabolism of any type of calorie. During weight gain your liver is being punched in the nose by inflammatory metabolic flu signals coming from your white adipose tissue and from your digestive tract. At the same time, your white adipose tissue is unable to store fat fast enough, turning to the primary backup location for fat storage - your liver. Now your liver gets clogged with excess fat, metabolism becomes even more strained, your waistline expands, and you are at risk for developing far more serious health problems. Read More...
MangoBerry Twist - 1 serving
Bicep Curl with Hip FlexionChallenge your workouts with multiple muscle group use. This exercise helps tone your biceps while simultaneously strengthening your core and quadriceps using balance.
1. Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand.
2. Proceed to raise one leg off the ground and hold at a 90 degree angle.
3. Next perform your bicep curl maintaining your balance keeping your leg bent.
4. Perform half your repetitions and then switch legs to complete the other half.
"I have battled poor health for many years. I had tried everything; seen numerous doctors, and struggled with food since I can remember. I found The Leptin Diet and it changed my life! The Five Rules are so easy and simple, yet brilliant. I feel better and am on the road to recovery. Thank you Byron, you have saved my life!" ~ Marina
Ingredients1/3 cup red-wine vinegar
Cook chicken in advance, chill. Whisk red-wine vinegar, oil, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add baby spinach, chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives and feta; toss to coat.
The metabolic flu weakens your host defenses. This enables germ gangs to take up unwanted residence. Your immune system can't get rid of them and struggles to keep them in their existing neighborhoods. Some of these germ gangs live within your digestive tract, lungs, or sinuses. Some even live in your white adipose tissue. The net result is increased tissue damage, higher levels of inflammation, higher levels of toxic exposure, food sensitivities, greater risk for immune system malfunction, and significantly more trouble engaging weight loss or sustaining a weight loss program. Read More...
Chocolate Almond Cherry Smoothie - 1 serving
Loaded Avocado - 1 serving
1. Carefully cut the avocado in half and scoop out the pit.
2. Fill avocado halves with cottage cheese.
3. Top with tomato, lemon juice, and sprinkle of salt.
4. Dig in with a spoon and enjoy!
I am introducing a new term into the lexicon of the weight-loss world - metabolic flu. The primary symptom of this problem is abnormal fatigue. This includes feeling like you did not sleep well, easy power outages by mid afternoon, and erratic energy at night that is a bizarre combination of fatigue and wired energy resulting in sleep problems. This type of fatigue is also associated with difficulty getting energy from a reasonable amount of food and an inability to sustain energy between meals without snacking. Read More...
Chocolate Iced Coffee - 1 serving
Mix protein, fiber, coffee and milk. Pour over ice and enjoy!
You can do this! See increased core and low-back strength in as little as two weeks!
If you cannot hold this position for 60 seconds at once, do as much as you can, rest as long as necessary, and continue until you have held it for a total of 60 seconds. This is one rep.
You will do a total of 5 reps or 300 seconds.
Shrimp with Garlic Sauce - 4 servings
1 1/2 pounds uncooked large wild shrimp
3 tablespoons Tamari sauce
2 tablespoons chili sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons rice wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 gloves garlic minced
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 scallion, thinly sliced
The ability of your body to process trash, including toxic trash, is a pervasive factor in your ability to lose weight and reach a healthy goal weight. Conversely, a struggle with this issue activates back-up strategies for dealing with toxic overload that include expanding your number of fat cells and stuffing them with toxins as well as fat. This is likely done to get the toxic trash out of your circulation and away from key organs. It causes easy weight gain and it complicates weight loss as your body does not easily give up the toxic fat it has stored.
Kiwi Delight - 1 serving
Isolate your quadriceps, glutes and calves with this no-equipment exercise.
Supplemental Fiber Helps Lower Cholesterol and Boosts Weight Loss
This research showed that boosting fiber intake beyond levels in a healthy diet offered significant cholesterol improvement. Read More...
Seared Salmon with Roasted Asparagus
4 servings wild Alaskan salmon fillet
(about 1 1/4 pounds total)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon salt
1 - 1 1/2 pounds fresh organic asparagus
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small organic onion, diced
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1 cup filtered water
1/2 cup brown rice
Do you crave sugar or carbohydrates? This is one of the many potential monkey wrenches that wreak havoc with your metabolism and impede your ability to lose weight. Discover why improving digestive issues tops the list of priorities for debugging stubborn weight issues. Read More...
The information in this groundbreaking article applies to at least 75 percent of people who are struggling to lose weight. Read More...
Chocolate Banana Blast - 1 serving
They help to develop the hip flexors, abdominal muscles, and leg muscles. Flutter kicks are a four-count exercise. Starting position is lying flat on the back with the feet and head approximately 6 inches (15 cm) off the ground. Hands are under the buttocks to support the lower back. Count one: raise the left leg to a 45-degree angle, keeping the right leg stationary. Count two: raise the right leg off the ground to a 45-degree angle while, at the same time, moving the left leg to the starting position. Counts three and four are repetitions of the same movements. Legs must be locked, with toes pointing away from the body.
Gut Bacteria Promote Storage of Calories by Your Liver - The balance of power of the contents of your digestive tract has a powerful influence on your liver's metabolic function. Read More
How Imbalanced Digestive Bacteria Can Cause Obesity & Heart Disease - Science reveals that the foreign contents in your digestive tract play a dramatic role in your energy level, metabolic function, body weight, and cardiovascular health. Read More
Congratulations! You've taken the first step towards improved health. Losing weight in a healthy and consistent way is the single best thing you can do to help improve your quality of health.
Engaging the process of weight loss is of paramount importance. Changing the dynamics within your body that enable weight loss requires many aspects of health to work in the right away, especially as time goes along. A proper process of weight loss confers many health benefits long before an optimal weight goal is achieved.
Individual health challenges that may inhibit weight loss vary from person to person. During the Leptin Diet® Weight Loss Challenge you will learn the most common reasons individuals struggle with weight loss. Today's article includes essential guidelines for getting started! Read More...
Strawberry Banana Blast - 1 serving
Get Going in the Morning!
This week, do three minutes of vigorous exercise first thing in the morning. Try jumping jacks, running in place, or jump roping for three minutes. This gets your metabolism going in the morning, and may even help you to sleep better at night. So, try this out right when you get out of bed and see how you feel!
Superior quality whey protein with fiber and and either mangosteen, organic cocoa, or organic vanilla bean. Makes an excellent breakfast! Protein at breakfast boosts your metabolism.* Read More
Chicken Chili - Makes 4 servings
Coat a skillet with olive oil. Add chicken and onions and brown chicken over low-medium heat until cooked through. Add all other ingredients and cook on low heat for approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Tip: To increase spiciness, add red pepper flakes and/or diced green chilies to taste. You may also top with cilantro after cooking.
Be sure to read The Leptin Diet book!
Each week Byron Richards will build on the concepts in The Leptin Diet book. He will explain the most common issues that stand in the way of weight loss and what you can do to see success! The Leptin Diet book is an easy read, just about 100 pages. Get your copy today >